HIGH SCHOOL: DAILY ANNOUNCEMENTS
March 30, 2020
Dear Senior Students, Parents and Guardians,
This afternoon, Governor DeWine extended the physical closure of schools until May 1st. I wanted to provide you with several updates in regards to possible changes to important upcoming events. At this time, graduation is still scheduled for Sunday, May 17th. If social distancing restrictions have been lifted and we are able to have graduation as scheduled, the following timeline will apply:
• Senior Movie/Lunch and Senior Kings Island Trip: These trips are cancelled and will not be rescheduled. Students who have paid for these trips will be eligible for a refund after all fees and lunch charges have been paid. Students do not need to report to school this day.
• Graduation Rehearsal: Friday, May 15th at 8 am. All fees must be paid by May 15th. Rehearsal is mandatory and students must be present in order to participate in the graduation ceremony. Please refer to previous letters in regards to dress code requirements for rehearsal.
• Graduation Ceremony: Sunday, May 17th at 3 pm. Students report 2:15 pm.
As Governor DeWine stated, much evaluation and updating will take place over the coming weeks in regards to extending the closure past May 1st. If school is closed past May 1st, the following timeline will apply:
• Graduation Rehearsal: Thursday, July 23rd at 8 a.m. -- Rehearsal is mandatory and students must be present in order to participate in the graduation ceremony. Please refer to previous letters in regards to dress code requirements for rehearsal.
• Senior Awards: Thursday, July 23rd at 7 p.m. (by invitation only)
• Prom: Friday, July 24th at location TBD.
• Graduation Ceremony: Sunday, July 26th at 3 pm.
Furthermore, if graduation must be postponed beyond May 17th, student transcripts will be finalized as of May 17th so students can proceed with future plans. Last week, Governor DeWine signed HB 197 into effect which deals with graduation requirements for the class of 2020. HB 197 reads as follows in regards to graduation status:
HB 197 permits public and private schools to grant a diploma to any student on track to graduate and for whom the principal, in consultation with teachers and counselors, determines that the student has successfully completed the student’s high school curriculum or individualized education program at the time of the Governor’s order.
HB 197 pertains to Amanda-Clearcreek in three main areas which are outlined below:
• Passage of currently enrolled courses needed for graduation: Students will be deemed on track of passing currently enrolled (non-online) courses if they achieved passing status at the end of the 3rd nine week grading period. This only applies to senior students, not underclassmen.
• Online courses through Florida Virtual: Students must meet all previous requirements in order to earn credits towards credit recovery or honors diploma. Students must be 100% complete with gradable work and have at least a 60% in the course. Students must earn the necessary credits prior to graduation.
• Students working towards an alternative pathway for graduation: Students who have yet to achieve the necessary 18 points towards End of Course Exams have begun working towards an alternative pathway. Any previous work submitted by students will satisfy this alternative pathway status and no further work will be required of the student.
If you have any questions regarding your child’s status with any of the three criteria above, please reach out to me ASAP at email@example.com or call 740-969-7251. If your child is not on track, we will be contacting you individually to set up a plan moving forward.
Lastly, I would like to provide updates for several other areas of concern at this time:
• Cap and Gown Distribution: We are working on a date with Herff-Jones for distribution of caps and gowns. That information will be shared as soon as we have the date set up.
• Senior Fees: Current fee letters were mailed home March 27th. All fees must be paid and equipment / supplies must be returned prior to May 15th.
• CCP Students: Please continue to progress as normal in your CCP courses as well as dual enrollment courses. No expectations have changed in regards to these courses.
• Locker Cleanout/Chromebook Drop Off: More information coming soon.
I appreciate your flexibility and understanding during this time. Our goal is to provide as many of the normal opportunities for our seniors as possible and communicate changes to you for planning purposes. Please contact me in regards to any questions or concerns you may have moving forward. It is my hope that everyone stays safe and healthy during this time.